Casino Ajax is a gaming facility located at the Ajax Downs racetrack—the first and only Quarter Horse racing venue in Ontario. The property is in Ajax, a suburb half an hour away from Toronto.
The racetrack was opened in 1969, hosting racing events for more than 50 years now. Over time, it has been home to numerous popular races, the most prominent of which is the Alex Picov Memorial Championship. Races take place every Sunday, from May to October.
The casino floor, located just off the racetrack, houses over 900 state-of-the-art slot machines and electronic table games, including roulette, blackjack, baccarat and sic bo. On top of that, there are a couple of bars and restaurants on the premises, where you can try a variety of dishes in different price ranges.
Patrons must be over 19 to enter the casino, which welcomes its patrons 24/7.
Casino Ajax details
- Name: Ajax Downs Racetrack and Casino Ajax
- Address: 50 Alexander’s Crossing, Ajax, ON L1Z 2E6, Canada
- Phone Number: +1 905-686-8001
- Hours of Operation: 24/7
- Gambling Available: Slots, electronic table games
Ontario Casinos in the News
Casino Ajax slots and casino games
Casino Ajax offers its visitors a wide choice of slot machines and table games, including the following:
Casino Ajax slots
Casino Ajax features over 900 slot machines, including classic slots, bonus slots, multi-reel, multi-line slots and VLTs. The machines are equipped with comfortable seating and the latest technology and software.
Slot games come in multiple denominations, ranging from $0.01 to $20, which makes them suitable for all bankroll sizes. In addition to the jackpots you can win as a part of video slot games, you can also try your hand at the multi-level jackpot system available via the virtual lottery terminals.
The collection of slots includes a variety of themes, and some of the most notable titles are:
- Buffalo Gold — This 5×4 game has been one of the most popular slots in casinos across Canada and the United States. The machine features high-quality graphics, the Xtra Reel Power system, a wide bet range and special features that increase your chances of winning and make the game more dynamic.
- Sacred Guardians — This is a series of slot machines developed by Aristocrat, with a theme revolving around mythological protective spirits. It includes Golden Griffin, The First Unicorn, Dragon of Destiny and Spirit of the Fox, all working on a similar 6×4 grid with 30 to 40 paylines. The games contain several special features, including the free spin rounds and the progressive jackpot.
- Lightning Link — Another series of slot games developed by Aristocrat includes four different titles: High Stakes, Magic Pearl, Happy Lantern and Sahara Gold. Not only do these games come with exciting special features on their own, but they are also interconnected, sharing a common Lightning Link progressive jackpot.
- 5 Dragons Gold — This slot represents a new and improved version of the mega-popular Five Dragons slot machine. It works on a five-reel matrix, offering 25 paylines with an East Asian theme. Even though the title doesn’t feature a jackpot, it makes up for the lack of it with an RTP of 97.17 percent, rewarding special features and the highest payout of 800x.
- Wheel of Fortune — As one of the most popular slot machines available in almost all major casinos, Wheel of Fortune is hard to miss on the Casino Ajax gaming floor. Its most recognizable feature is a large, colourful wheel sitting on top of a regular-looking game cabinet. It is created by International Gaming Technology (IGT) and based on the mega-popular game show of the same name.
Casino Ajax table games
Rather than including typical table games, Casino Ajax has opted for featuring iTables, a mix between live and electronic gaming. These games come in a variety of table limits, with minimum bets starting at $1. Some of the most prominent electronic tables include MiniStar Roulette, baccarat and sic bo.
Can I play poker at Casino Ajax?
Unfortunately, Casino Ajax doesn’t currently feature poker games.
Horse racing at Ajax Downs
Ajax Downs has hosted Quarter Horse races for almost 50 years. Currently, it remains the only Quarter Horse racing venue in Ontario. At the moment, it holds 35 race dates from May to October.
The most notable events include the Ontario Jackpot Futurity, the Alex Picov Memorial Futurity and the Alex Picov Memorial Championship. The racetrack also features a 70-screen simulcast area, with live broadcasts from more than 40 globally famous tracks.
Winner’s Circle Rewards program
Casino Ajax offers a unique loyalty program punters can join for a chance to win generous rewards. After becoming a member of the program, you can use your membership card while playing Ajax casino games to collect points and advance through loyalty levels. The program consists of three different levels with the following features:
- Rewards level — free admission
- Silver level — 1,000+ loyalty points
- Gold level — 5,000+ loyalty points
With each new level, you gain access to more rewarding prizes, including comp points redemption, dining discounts, exclusive invitations, birthday offers, exclusive email promotions and much more.
Casino Ajax’s responsible gambling program
As a part of its efforts to support responsible gambling, Casino Ajax features a PlaySmart program. Its aim is to educate players and staff about not only gambling responsibly but also recognizing the signs of problem gambling.
It offers guides, tools and advice for players on how to approach gambling and control their budget, so they don’t spend more than they can afford. This information is available in a PlaySmart centre located on the casino site. Players already struggling with gambling addiction can opt for self-exclusion and find useful links and helplines on Casino Ajax’s official website.
All Ontario Casinos, Poker Rooms and Sportsbooks
- Caesars Windsor Casino
- Cascades Casino Chatham
- Cascades Casino North Bay
- Casino Niagara
- Casino Rama and Resort
- Elements Casino Brantford
- Elements Casino Mohawk
- Fallsview Casino and Resort
- Gateway Casino in Innisfil
- Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay
- Hanover Casino
- Kawartha Downs Casino
- Pickering Casino Resort to Open its First Phase Soon
- Sarnia Casino
- Sault Ste. Marie Casino
- Shorelines Casino Belleville
- Shorelines Casino Peterborough
- Wasaga Beach Casino
- Woodbine Casino and Racetrack
- Woodstock Casino & Raceway
Ajax Downs history and current owners
Ajax Downs, originally named Picov Downs, was opened in 1969 as the first Quarter Horse racing track in Ontario. It was the project of Alex Picov, a Russian immigrant who built the venue on his family’s property.
After the slots gaming floor was added in 2006, its name changed to Ajax Downs. Another notable expansion project was finished in 2009, the addition of a full six-furlong oval racetrack.
Throughout its long history, Ajax Downs has remained the only Quarter Horse racing track in Ontario. The racetrack founder, Alex Picov, used to import Quarter Horses from the U.S. The venue hosted its first AQHA meet in 1971 and the first Rages to Riches Futurity in 1984.
The most notable racing events at the track today include Ontario Jackpot Futurity, the Alex Picov Memorial Futurity, and the Alex Picov Memorial Championship. Ajax Downs racetrack is still governed by the Picov family, whereas Casino Ajax is powered by Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, Great Canadian Gaming Corporation and Brookfield Business Partners LP.