Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay
Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay is a land-based casino in Thunder Bay, Ontario, on the western shore of Lake Superior. Due to its convenient location close to the US border, it attracts customers not only from Canada but also from nearby US states.
Previously under the control of Ontario Lottery and Gaming, the casino currently is part of Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited, one of the largest gambling and entertainment companies in the country, operating 23 casinos in three provinces.
The casino floor of only 14,000 square feet is on the smaller side compared to some other gambling facilities in the province. However, it is home to over 450 slot machines and 14 table games.
In addition to games, players can also take advantage of regular promotions and rewards as a part of the casino’s My Club Rewards loyalty program.
Patrons can visit the casino from 9 a.m. to 4 a.m. Monday through Wednesday and at all hours from Thursday to Saturday. Due to provincial laws, patrons can only enter the casino if they are at least 19 years old with a valid photo ID.
Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay details
- Name: Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay
- Address: 50 Cumberland St. S., Thunder Bay, ON
- Phone number: 807-766-7900
- Hours: Monday to Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 4 a.m.; Thursday to Sunday: 24 hours
- Gambling available: Slots, table games, poker
Ontario Casinos in the News
Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay – slots & casino games
Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay in Ontario offers visitors the following selection of slots and casino games:
With only 14,000 square feet of space, Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay is a relatively small casino. Still, its slot collection features around 450 machines with top-grade software and comfortable seating. The games come in different denominations, ranging from $0.01 to $5, making them suitable for a variety of budgets. The collection includes different themes and game designs, along with special features and progressive jackpots. Here are some of the top titles the casino offers:
- 5 Dragons Gold — This game is the brainchild of Aristocrat Technologies, one of the top slot developers in the industry. It works on a 5×3 grid and offers 243 paylines or ways to win. Other features that make this slot particularly rewarding are the free spin rounds, wild symbols and the jackpot bonus.
- Twin Fire, featuring Quick Hit and Hot Shot — This Scientific Games slot features two five-reel, 25-payline games and six progressive jackpots. On top of that, there are several free games that can be very generous and an especially large wide-area progressive jackpot.
- Ultra Stack Rising Dragon — Ultra Stack Rising Dragon is pretty standard as far as slot machines go. Namely, it has five reels and 50 paylines, which is nothing out of the ordinary. However, this Asian-themed title features free spin rounds with stacked top symbols, which makes the game more dynamic and increases the potential payouts.
- Golden Festival — Another slot inspired by Asia, Golden Festival is a part of Aristocrat’s well-known Gold Pays series. As such, it contains the Gold Pays feature, which, when triggered, turns all standard symbols gold and increases their value. On top of that, the special features also include free spin rounds and a jackpot.
- Double Diamond Free Games — Although it has been present in casinos across North America for decades, the popularity of the Double Diamond slot hasn’t diminished. With its classic grid structure of three reels and three rows, it’s perfect for those players who are looking for a no-frills machine.
Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay currently houses 14 tables, offering a variety of games like roulette, blackjack, Caribbean Stud Poker, Let It Ride and three additional poker tables.
The betting limits range from $5 to $100, making the games suitable for both recreational players and high-rollers. Patrons can access the table game section Sunday through Wednesday from 4 p.m. to 3 a.m. and Thursday through Sunday from 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. However, the hours are subject to change, so check the casino’s official website for the latest information.
Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay poker room
Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay features a poker room with three Texas Hold’em tables. Although cash games are available, the casino isn’t hosting any poker tournaments currently. The poker room operates from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. from Sunday to Wednesday, with the hours extending to 4 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
My Club Rewards program
In addition to the regular promotions Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay offers, it also has the My Club Rewards program that provides additional perks and prizes. Upon registration, you’ll receive a My Club Rewards card, which you can use to accrue tier points and rewards points while playing casino games.
You can redeem rewards points for free slot play, while the tier points indicate your loyalty level. For every $10 that you wager on slots, $20 on video poker and $40 on e-table games, you’ll receive one of each type of point. Depending on the number of points, you can reach the following loyalty levels:
- Rewards — 0 to 999 tier points
- Silver — 1,000 to 4,999 tier points
- Gold — 5,000 to 24,999 tier points
- Elite — 25,000+ tier points
- Ultra — invite only
Of course, each new loyalty level grants access to more lucrative rewards, including bonus points, dining discounts, access to special slot tournaments, exclusive invitations, birthday offers, and much more. On top of that, as Gateway Casinos partner with Casino Rama Resort, players can also get exclusive concert offers and hotel and restaurant perks and discounts.
All Ontario Casinos, Poker Rooms and Sportsbooks
- Caesars Windsor Casino
- Cascades Casino Chatham
- Cascades Casino North Bay
- Casino Ajax
- Casino Niagara
- Casino Rama and Resort
- Elements Casino Brantford
- Elements Casino Mohawk
- Fallsview Casino and Resort
- Gateway Casino in Innisfil
- Hanover Casino
- Kawartha Downs Casino
- Pickering Casino Resort to Open its First Phase Soon
- Sarnia Casino
- Sault Ste. Marie Casino
- Shorelines Casino Belleville
- Shorelines Casino Peterborough
- Wasaga Beach Casino
- Woodbine Casino and Racetrack
- Woodstock Casino & Raceway
Responsible gambling at Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay
In compliance with Ontario’s gambling laws, Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay works to educate its players about responsible gambling and create a secure gambling environment. As a testament to its efforts, the casino maintains Responsible Gaming Accreditation.
The concrete steps the casino has taken include offering players the option to exclude themselves from using the company’s services, issuing win/loss statements, being transparent about how its games work, training its employees and providing support and resources for the players who are struggling with gambling addiction.
Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay history and current owner
The gambling facility we know today as Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay was once OLG Casino Thunder Bay, as it used to be owned and operated by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp.
However, in 2017, the corporation signed a 20-year deal with Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited, allowing Gateway to operate its casinos in the North Gaming Bundle, including the one in Thunder Bay.
The deal made Gateway the largest gambling company in Canada. It currently operates 23 casinos in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. The company launched in 1992, and it is owned by the Catalyst Capital Group at the moment.