Sault Ste. Marie Casino
Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie is a gambling establishment from the small Canadian city of the same name (Sault Ste. Marie) in Ontario. The venue is located on the banks of St. Marys River and just off the Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge, connecting the province with Michigan.
The venue previously operated as OLG Casino Sault Ste. Marie, before Gateway Casinos & Entertainment took over. At the time of its opening in 1999, it was the first permanent casino in Northern Ontario.
The casino’s 35,000 square feet house more than 400 slot machines, a dozen table games and a three-table poker room. Players can take advantage of many regular promotions and join Gateway’s rewards program to claim prizes and discounts.
Guests can also take a break from gambling in the Gateway Restaurant. The casino is open Monday through Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 4 a.m. and all hours from Thursday at 9 a.m. to Monday at 4 a.m. Due to Ontario’s gambling laws, patrons must be at least 19 years old.
Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie details
- Name: Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie
- Address: 30 Bay St., Sault Ste. Marie, ON
- Phone: 705-759-0100
- Hours: Monday to Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 4 a.m.; Thursday at 9 a.m. to Monday at 4 a.m.
- Games: Slots, table games, poker
Ontario Casinos in the News
Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie slots & casino games
Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie offers players a wide selection of slot and casino games, including the following:
The 35,000-square-foot casino space at Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie holds around 450 slot machines. In fact, the facility is one of the biggest and most popular casinos in Northern Ontario.
The slot collection features some traditional, tried-and-true titles, but the casino also keeps up with the industry development by adding new slots regularly. The machines have quite flexible denominations, ranging from a few cents to over $25.
Players can find games featuring many different themes and visuals. There are also titles boasting the most contemporary game mechanics for additional excitement. On top of that, the collection also features progressive jackpot games that can provide large payouts on a single spin. Here are some titles to check out:
- Dancing Drums — This Asian-themed slot is adorned with golden symbols and striking red and gold imagery. It works on a standard 5×3 grid but has some distinctive features, such as two betting options, a four-level progressive jackpot and a bonus round.
- Double Diamond Free Games — Fans of classic slots will love the Double Diamond slot machine, as it is a true representative of the category, with only three reels and a single payline. Not only is it one of the most popular classic slots from IGT, but it is also one of the most popular slot machines for high rollers.
- Lightning Link — You can find this popular slot in numerous big land-based casinos. The machine features four games: Sahara Gold, Happy Lantern, High Stakes and Magic Pearl. Not only do the games share special features, but they are also linked by a progressive jackpot system.
- Golden Festival — This is an Asian-themed, five-reel, 60-payline slot from Aristocrat’s hit game series, Gold Pays. As such, it contains the Gold Pays bonus feature, which turns the standard game symbols gold, thus increasing their value. On top of that, the machine features four jackpots.
- Quick Hit Volcano — This slot comes from one of the most prominent game companies in the industry — Scientific Gaming. The base game is quite straightforward, with five reels and 30 paylines. However, the title also offers up to 20 free games and a five-level progressive jackpot.
In addition to state-of-the-art slots, Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie also offers electronic blackjack and around a dozen tables. The roster includes games like roulette, blackjack, Mississippi stud and Ultimate Texas Hold’em. The table game section is open every day between 6 p.m. and 2 a.m.
Poker room at Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie
The poker room at Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie features three 11-seat Texas Hold’em poker tables. The $1/$2 spread limits are available from 6 p.m., Wednesday to Sunday.
The casino hosts regular poker tournaments every Thursday. The entry fee is $75, except for the tournament on the last Thursday of the month, when the price increases to $125. Registration starts one week before each tournament, and only the first 33 players who pay will gain access. At the end of each tournament, the top three players receive payment.
My Club Rewards program
As a part of the Gateway Casinos group, the casino at Sault Ste. Marie is part of Gateway’s My Club Rewards loyalty program. Players can join the program at a designated desk on the casino floor by presenting a valid photo ID.
Once registered, players receive a My Club Rewards card, which they can use to collect reward points and tier points from playing slots and table games. Tier points determine your level in the multi-tier system, and you can redeem reward points for free slot play. Each time you spend $10 on slots, $20 on video poker or $40 on e-table games, you receive one tier point and one reward point. The program consists of five loyalty levels:
- Rewards — up to 999 tier points
- Silver — up to 4,999 tier points
- Gold — up to 24,999 tier points
- Elite — 25,000+ tier points
- Ultra — by invitation only
As is the case with all tiered loyalty programs, players gain access to better rewards, promotions and discounts with each new level. My Club Rewards perks include restaurant discounts, access to special slot tournaments, birthday offers, event invitations, and special promotions and concert offers.
Responsible gambling at Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie
Responsible gambling is a priority at Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie, as evidenced by the casino’s responsible gaming accreditation. The steps it has taken to ensure a safe gambling environment include training its employees, providing win/loss statements to players, offering its clients the option to exclude themselves from using its services and being open about the inner workings of its games.
In addition, as a member of OLG’s PlaySmart program, the casino educates players on safe gambling practices and offers help and resources to users who’ve been struggling with gambling addiction.
All Ontario Casinos, Poker Rooms and Sportsbooks
- Caesars Windsor Casino
- Cascades Casino Chatham
- Cascades Casino North Bay
- Casino Ajax
- Casino Niagara
- Casino Rama and Resort
- Elements Casino Brantford
- Elements Casino Mohawk
- Fallsview Casino and Resort
- Gateway Casino in Innisfil
- Gateway Casinos Thunder Bay
- Hanover Casino
- Kawartha Downs Casino
- Pickering Casino Resort to Open its First Phase Soon
- Sarnia Casino
- Shorelines Casino Belleville
- Shorelines Casino Peterborough
- Wasaga Beach Casino
- Woodbine Casino and Racetrack
- Woodstock Casino & Raceway
Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie history and current owners
When it opened its doors to the public in 1999, the casino at Sault Ste. Marie became the first permanent casino in Northern Ontario. Due to its location near the US border, it attracts not only players from Canada but also those from the neighbouring state of Michigan. So far, it has remained one of the most popular gambling facilities in Northern Ontario.
Previously owned and operated by Ontario Lottery and Gaming, it was acquired by Gateway Casinos & Entertainment in 2017, together with the casino in Thunder Bay. The two corporations signed a 20-year deal. As a result, Gateway has taken over the casinos in the North Gaming Bundle, making it the biggest gambling company in the country.