Cha-Ching! Single-Event Wagers Drive $1 Million Handle For OLG In First Week

Written By Katarina Vojvodic on September 13, 2021

It’s been a busy week for Ontario punters.

During the first five days of legalized singles betting in Canada, Ontario’s gamblers wagered more than CA$1 million. And according to the Ontario and Lottery Corporation (OLG), approximately 74% of that involved single bets.

OLG launched PROLINE+, its new sports betting platform, on Aug 27, the same day Bill C-218 came into effect.

Before Bill C-218 (Safe and Regulated Sports Betting Act) passed, Canadians could only wager on parlay bets. The legal change gave provinces the mandate to regulate singles bets in addition to current offerings within individual jurisdictions.

Optimism for further growth

It is thanks to the OLG that PROLINE+ was ready on day one of the new regulations.

“Ontario bettors had been waiting for a best-in-class option to place bets, and that’s exactly what OLG has delivered with Proline+,” said Dave Pridmore, Senior VP at OLG. “This product is competitive and exciting, and players are seeing that.”

Something else competitive and exciting is Ontario’s plan to open its market to private operators. The province is in the process of implementing a new regulatory framework and has established iGamingOntario, to oversee the new market.  So far, it’s the only province to indicate a move in that direction, according to the Canadian Gaming Association’s CEO Paul Burns.

On future rollouts, Ontario is the only province that has firm plans to invite privately operated sportsbooks into the market; others are evaluating or are unlikely at this point,” he said.

But, with the new Ontario market not slated to open until late this year, OLG’s PROLINE+ has a head start.

Once Ontario opens its door to private organizations, all operators will be expected to apply for licenses.

Mandatory vaccine certificates

These have been an active couple of days for Ontario players.

And while Ontario punters can place single bets online, casino goers will soon have to show proof of vaccination.

Ontario is the latest province to require proof of vaccination status before people can visit casinos. A reaction to COVID-19’s 4th wave, the measure comes into effect on Sept. 22.

The rule will apply to casinos, bingo halls, other gambling amenities, and more.

British Columbia, Quebec, and Manitoba have already issued vaccine passport rules for visitors to brick-and-mortar casinos.

Katarina Vojvodic Avatar
Written by
Katarina Vojvodic

View all posts by Katarina Vojvodic