China Shores is a 5-reel and 30-payline slot game by Konami filled with cute pandas and other symbols of the far east and China. Lush greenery and symbols of fortune and bliss are prevalent in Asian cultures and fit the theme of China Shores perfectly.
Of course, you can’t have fortune and bliss without coins and riches, and China Shores’ gameplay can be a ticket to those. With the special Action Sacked Symbols game mechanics, one symbol can cover multiple randomly chosen positions on the playing grid, and there is a chance to score grand-sized line wins.
There are also free spins and a unique Balance of Fortune bonus round in which you can get hold of a max payout worth $319,500.
To learn more about China Shores and all of its intricate features, make sure to read our detailed review below. This slot game is available for real money online or you can play slots for free, by clicking the play button above.
Most Popular Games
Theme and visuals
China Shores draws its inspiration from Chinese culture and its ancient symbols of fortune, such as the golden turtle, Ming vases, lanterns, and many others that represent high-paying symbols in the game. The lower-paying symbols are reserved for card suits from 9 to ace.
The backdrop features a bamboo forest and groves with never-ending meadows and mountains seen in the distance. Even the background appears to be covered in giant fern leaves, which further bolsters the ambiance and natural feel of the game.
Still, the details and design are not that sharp and modern. It seems the creators were more focused on the gameplay and features rather than the aesthetics. The sound effects also fall into that same line, and although they are quirky and on point, they resemble those heard in pixel-art video games.
To initiate the spins and get on with the action in China Shores slots, you are first required to set the bet size. To do so, you have to assign the coin value, which can range from $0.01 to $0.50, and the number you wish to bet per line. You can bet one, two, or five coins per line, which ultimately leads to a betting limit between $0.30 and $75 per spin. Good enough for both newbies to slot gaming and experienced bettors.
Once the value is set, you only need to hit the Spin button and watch the action unroll. Of course, continuously pressing the Spin button can be a pain in the neck, so the developers have devised an Autoplay option that allows you to set the number of spins you want the machine to complete in your stead. You get to choose between 10 and 500 spins. The Turbo mode is another helpful feature that speeds up the spins considerably, so you won’t have to wait long to see the results.
Are there any jackpots available?
Unfortunately, there are no jackpots available in China Shores. However, the Balance of Fortune bonus feature can yield a max prize worth $319,500, which is as good as most grand jackpots in slots these days.
China Shores bonus features
Let’s take a closer look at China Shores’ bonus features that separate this game from all others and have made it a fan favourite in most of Ontario’s online casinos.
Action Stacked Symbols
Konami slots are no stranger to the developer’s proprietary game mechanic called Action Stacked Symbols. This feature marks several spots on each reel and fills them with one randomly chosen symbol, even the game’s scatter. Thanks to Action Stacked Symbols mechanics, you can have the entire grid covered in a single high-paying symbol.
The game’s scatter symbol in the form of a Yin and Yang sign is in charge of triggering the free spins bonus round. Depending on the number of scatters on the reels, the game will credit you with the following number of free spins:
- 3 scatters activate 8 free spins
- 4 scatters activate 10 free spins
- 5 scatters activate 15 free spins
The highlight of the free spins bonus round is the fact that all wins scored are doubled. Also, you can retrigger the free spins round by landing at least three scatters.
Balance of Fortune bonus
The free spins bonus round comes with a unique twist called the Balance of Fortune bonus. Namely, before the free games are initiated, you are given a choice to proceed to the spins or choose a credit prize instead. Should you opt for the credit prize, you will be given a random amount that is, on average, greater when more free spins are exchanged.
The minimum value of the prize is $40, while the maximum is set at $319,500, an enticing sum, no doubt. When playing the free games, you can exchange the remaining free spins for a credit prize. You can do so by clicking on the special Balance of Fortune symbol.
Who is China Shores ideal for?
China Shores is a perfect choice for players who enjoy Chinese themes and East Asian cultures. It is a straightforward game to play so that even beginners can quickly master the rules and payouts. With a betting range that goes up to $75 per spin, high rollers can have a field day playing China Shores.
Where can I play China Shores online?
Konami is a brand known around the iGaming world, which means that most of Ontario’s licensed online casinos will host China Shores. When you add the popularity of the game itself, it is a no-brainer. Head now to BetMGM, DraftKings, and PokerStars, for example, and you will undoubtedly encounter China Shores in the players’ favourites tab.
Almost all ON online casinos offer a welcome bonus. Be sure to check out our reviews to take advantage of the BetMGM bonus code, which gives you a free no deposit bonus to play China Shores.
What’s great about China Shores?
There are several exceptional characteristics of China Shores that slot enthusiasts simply love, and those are:
- Action Stacked Symbols — Thanks to the Action Stacked Symbols game mechanics, players don’t have to wait for the bonus game to score big wins, as even the base game can be a treasure trove.
- Free Spins — The free spins bonus round with up to 15 re-triggerable free spins and double payouts is what players probably enjoy the most.
- Balance of Fortune Bonus — These days, not many games allow you to exchange free spins for a credit prize, making China Shores unique and even more popular.
- Good RTP — With an RTP set at 96.10%, China Shores counts among games with an above-average payout rate.
What would make China Shores better?
No game is devoid of drawbacks, including China Shores. The creators should have paid more attention to the following features that would have made the game even better:
- Progressive jackpots — Progressive jackpots are a hook few players can resist, especially when their prize pools are measured in millions. It seems that with such a jackpot structure, China Shores would command more respect.
- Better graphics — The game lacks a bit in the visual department and feels a bit outdated. More modern and detailed graphics would have made all the difference.
Free to Play Konami Slots Online
- Graphics and design — 3/5: As we pointed out above, the symbols and the playing grid are colourful but not modern. The game’s overall feel is vintage and somewhat outdated, which is not something younger generations of players appreciate.
- Sound effects — 3/5: The sound effects are on point and contribute to the overall tranquil atmosphere of the game. However, they are a bit too computerized, and as a result, the rating is only three out of five.
- Jackpot value — 4/5: Since the game is without a jackpot, we can’t speak of a max rating for that section. However, thanks to a max payout of $319,500, the players have more than enough reason to keep playing.
- Replay value — 3/5: China Shores has an exciting theme and several neat bonus features, including the one that lets you exchange free spins for a credit prize. Still, without a jackpot structure and better visuals, it can’t hope to entice all types of slot players, hence the rating.