Starburst is an immensely popular video slot developed by NetEnt. The game was released in 2013, but it is a common part of online casino libraries, and it’s often associated with free spin bonuses.
The secret to Starburst’s popularity lies in its simplicity. The game is played on a 5×3 grid, with ten fixed paylines that work both ways. Starburst has only one bonus element — a wild respin feature that can trigger massive wins.
If this title somehow went unnoticed and you wish to find out more about it before giving it a spin, you’ve come to the right place. Read our detailed review to learn everything about Starburst.
Most Popular Games
Starburst slot game theme and visuals
Starburst slots combine elements of a modern video slot with some retro aesthetics. The main symbols in the game are differently coloured shiny diamonds floating in space, joined by the familiar “BAR” and “7” symbols seen with classic slot machines.
Calming music and sound effects contribute to the game’s cosmic atmosphere. After a win is triggered, you’ll see a winning payline similar to how constellations are drawn, and the winning symbols will begin to glow.
What’s really impressive about the Starburst online slot game is that it has aged well from a visual standpoint. The graphics still appear smooth and snappy, and the game honestly looks better than many of the latest slot titles, despite being released in 2013.
Starburst betting options
The size of your individual wagers in Starburst is adjusted in two ways. First, you need to set your betting level, ranging from one to ten, using the arrow keys located left of the spin button. Next, you need to adjust the coin value, ranging from 0.01 to 2.00, using the arrow keys on the right.
Your total bet for the round is calculated as the coin value multiplied by the betting level and the number of paylines (fixed at ten). For example, if your betting level is five and your coin value is 0.50, your total bet would be $25 (0.50 x 5 x 10). This means that the minimum bet per spin is $0.10, and the maximum is $200, making Starburst ideal for both casuals and high-rollers.
Are there any jackpots available?
Unfortunately, Starburst is not tied to any local or progressive jackpots. Still, this doesn’t mean that you can’t get huge wins. The maximum number of coins you can win after a single play is 50,000, which is pretty impressive for a game considered to have low variance. If you get lucky enough to trigger the game’s bonus feature, you can create massive combos, which brings us to our next section.
Starburst bonus features
Starburst only has one bonus feature that can appear during the base game. While that might seem disappointing to many players, the good news is that the bonus feature triggers fairly often and almost always results in a win. Here are the details.
The Starburst Wilds feature becomes triggered every time a wild symbol (multi-coloured seven-pointed star) appears on reels two, three, or four. The wild will then expand to cover the entire reel and serve as any other wild, substituting all other symbols in a winning combination.
However, that’s not all. Once the wild expands over the entire reel, it will also trigger a respin. If any new wilds appear during the respin, you will earn another respin, up to a maximum of three times.
Who is Starburst ideal for?
Starburst is a relatively simple slot, meaning that, in theory, it’s ideal for beginner players who are yet to familiarize themselves with how these games work. Nevertheless, Starburst attracts players of all kinds and is rightfully considered one of the most popular video slots in the world. So, regardless of whether you are new to video slots or have plenty of experience, we are sure that you’re going to enjoy this game.
Where can I play Starburst online?
Due to its immense popularity, most online casinos want to include Starburst in their collection of games. So, if a casino features a package of NetEnt slot titles, it’s almost a guarantee that you’ll find Starburst among them. We’ve found that plenty of ON casino sites already have this game available. What’s more, you can also find the game being tied to casinos’ welcome bonuses, especially those that offer free spins or a no deposit casino bonus.
What’s great about Starburst?
For almost a decade, Starburst has been ranked as one of the most played video slots online, and the reasons for that success are quite obvious. If you haven’t yet played this game, here are some of its most prominent qualities:
- Simplicity — Most players don’t like overly complicated games, and Starburst obliges by being incredibly straightforward. Even if you never played slots before, you’ll immediately figure the game out.
- Betting flexibility — As mentioned, Starburst caters to both casual players and the ones that like betting larger amounts. So, no matter what your bankroll is, the game’s wagering settings will help you find your ideal bet size.
- High reward potential — The maximum amount of coins you can win in Starburst is 50,000. So, even though the game doesn’t feature a jackpot, its maximum win ceiling is fairly high.
- Two-way paylines — An awesome thing about Starburst is that the paylines pay both ways, so even if you don’t land matching symbols on the first couple of reels, you can still hope to win.
What would make Starburst better?
While the majority of video slot players are content that this is one of the finest games ever made, there are a couple of things that would make Starburst even better, including:
- More bonus features — Having just a single simple bonus feature might make the game boring after a while and is lowering its replay value.
- Higher RTP — The game’s RTP sits at 96.09%, which is not bad, but it makes it much less rewarding over the long run compared to some other slots.
- Jackpots — Starburst doesn’t feature any jackpots, which might deter some players from looking for a large payout.
Free to Play NetEnt Slots Online
- Graphics and design — 5/5: Starburst had mind-blowing graphics at the time of its release. Even though it doesn’t look that special anymore, it has aged rather well, and its overall design is impeccable.
- Sound effects — 5/5: If you’re a fan of space-themed media, you’ll like how Starburst It’s tonally lush, yet it doesn’t bore players with repetitive or aggressive sound effects.
- Jackpot value — 1/5: If you’re looking for jackpots, you better search for another title. Starburst does have a relatively high maximum win, but it’s nowhere near the level of games with progressive or even local jackpots.
- Replay value — 3/5: With only a single bonus feature, Starburst might lose your interest after a few hundred spins. Still, players kept returning to this game for years, so it might make you keep coming back as well