Disclaimer: DraftKings Online Sportsbook is not currently available in Canada. This review is speculative based on what we know so far and will be updated when DraftKings launches in Ontario.
DraftKings has made no secret of its interest in opening an online sportsbook in Ontario, with CEO Jason Robins telling analysts exactly that during a conference call in February 2021:
“Canada is going to be a really exciting opportunity, should it open up. We’ve seen really good progress there, both at the federal and provincial level in the Ontario legislature.”
Couple those comments with the continued advancement of bill C-218 and it stands to reason that legalized single-game sports betting in Ontario will be here sooner rather than later and DraftKings will be a top option for Ontarians.
That’s why we’ve put together this DraftKings Sportsbook Ontario review to get you ready. Over the course of the review you’ll learn about:
- DraftKings’ welcome bonus, which is worth over $1,000.
- Other promotions which range from simple odds boosts to no-brainer bets that essentially put money straight into your account.
- Getting signed up with DraftKings Sportsbook and how to both make deposits and withdrawals.
Additionally, you’ll get a better understanding of where things are at in Ontario in terms of single-event sports betting and thus when it is most likely that DraftKings Sportsbook would launch in the Heartland Province.
Why choose DraftKings Sportsbook
- Welcome bonuses total over $1,000 in value
- Promotions are some of the best in the industry
- Mobile apps (iOS and Android) allow for easy remote betting
- Ability to place single-game bets on an abundance teams and sports
When will DraftKings be legal in Ontario?
In short, single-game sports wagering will be legal in Ontario shortly after the Criminal Code is changed by Canada’s federal government. That is exactly what C-218 would accomplish and in April 2021 it cleared the House of Commons before being sent to the Senate.
While this has happened before, in 2015 for example, it appears things are different this time with all-party backing for the bill. Additionally, outside of government, C-218 has the support of various organizations, including the Canadian Olympic Committee, Canadian Gaming Association and Responsible Gaming Council.
Focusing on Ontario, the province already has signaled that it wants a robust and diverse betting market with sportsbooks that are privately run. So, based on all the indications from Ontario lawmakers and DraftKings’ CEO it is hard to fathom single-event betting being authorized in the province and DraftKings not being part of it all.
DraftKings sign-up bonus: Up to a $1,050 value
DraftKings Sportsbook offers not one, not two, but three different sign-up bonuses for new users. One of the best parts about the offers if you don’t need a DraftKings bonus code, instead just follow our links when creating your new account for DraftKings Sportsbook Ontario and you will be taken care of.
Now, let’s take a look at these three different offers.
- Deposit bonus: This is the bonus that bears watching the closest when DraftKings launches in Ontario. That’s because we’ve seen a couple different deposit match offers at DraftKings Sportsbook and one is great, while the other not so much.
The not-so-great offer sees DraftKings match a user’s initial deposit 20% for a maximum of $1,000. Players also need to play through their deposit at a rate of 25x for each bonus dollar to be released. That means to receive the full $2,000 in bonus money a user needs to deposit $5,000 and then wager at least $25,000. This has been the regular DraftKings welcome offer, but in 2021 we started seeing another deposit offer from time to time.
In this less common offer, a users had his or her first deposit matched 100% for up to $2,000 and it only required a 1x play-through rate. The way the deposit match was paid out differed as well. Now, instead of receiving bonus money, a user received five bets, which added up to equal their deposit. So if you deposited $2,000 you would receive five $400 free bets. The other requirement was your deposit must be for at least $500.
- Bet match: DraftKings also matches a new user’s first bet for up to $50. This offer is very straightforward, simply place a wager and you get a free bet equal to that wager, win or lose, for up to $50.
- Mega boosted odds bet: Finally, DraftKings usually gives users one mega odds boost at the time they join. Sometimes the offer is a near sure thing, like when new users could bet $1 to win $100 prior to the 2021 NFL Draft if a quarterback was selected first overall. Other times it’s more of a 50/50 wager with the same odds for which team will win the Super Bowl or which fighter will win a UFC Main Event.
These odds boosts are typically paid out in free bets.
Altogether these DraftKings Sportsbook welcome bonuses are very solid, the big question is what will the deposit-match offer be when DraftKings goes live in Ontario. The 20% match bonus is OK, but the 100% bonus is outstanding and surely would be one of, if not the best, sportsbook bonus in Ontario.
DraftKings Sportsbook bonus code 2021
|Ontario Sportsbook||DraftKings Sportbook|
|Match Bet Offer||Up to $50|
|Deposit Offer||20% up to $1,000|
|Online Since||2021 in Ontario|
|Last Updated||October 2021|
Regular promotions available on the DraftKings sports betting app
When DraftKings Sportsbook does go debut in Ontario, sport bettors will be able to start taking advantage of all the magnificent promotions the online oddsmaker has to offer. Here’s a sampling of what you can expect to see from DraftKings Sportsbook.
- Odds boosts: DraftKings offers a few bets with boosted odds pretty much every day of the year. These wagers can range from prebuilt parlays, to prop bets and even just simple straight wagers. The key is that all the bets have their odds increased to allow users to win more money.
- Profit boosts: DraftKings also gives out a fair share of profits boosts to users as well. Profit boosts are different from odds boosts because bettors can choose what they want to wager on and then see their winnings increase. It’s not at all uncommon to see a profit boost of between 25%-100% at DraftKings Sportsbook.
- Free pools: Users also will find different pools to enter at DraftKings, including free ones which pay out real money to winners. Since these contests are free of charge they generally have tens of thousands of entrants, so doing well enough to win money is a challenge to say the least.
- No-brainer promotions: Occasionally, DraftKings offers what it calls “No-Brainer” bets. These wagers will be for something that is almost a virtual guarantee of happening, like a pass being completed during an NFL game for instance. Wagers are limited to between $10 and $50, but with +100 odds that means you double up and get to watch your bankroll grow.
The promotions offered at DraftKings Sportsbook are without question some of the best in the online sports betting industry and we have no doubt Ontario sports bettors will be excited to take advantage of them in the near future.
How to create a DraftKings account in Ontario
Assuming nothing changes when DraftKings Sportsbook launches in Ontario, creating a new account can be accomplished using a smartphone, tablet or computer and takes only a matter of minutes. If you already have a DraftKings Daily Fantasy account you use your same login information to get your sportsbook account up and running.
For those of you creating an account from scratch, start by opening the DraftKings app or website, click on “Sign up” and then enter the following information.
- First and last name
- Home address
- Date of birth
Users also will create a username and password. If DraftKings is unable to verify your identity you may have to upload a photo ID, but even that can be done fairly easily using your phone or tablet.
DraftKings Sportsbook app in Ontario
The DraftKings Sportsbook mobile app for iOS and Android devices is among the finest in the industry and quite simply allows for effortless single-game sports betting on your mobile devices.
Prior to going over the app, here is a guide for downloading DraftKings Sportsbook on Android and Apple smartphones and tablets.
How to download DraftKings iOS app in Ontario
By clicking on our link you’ll be taken to DraftKings’ app download page. Merely click the “Download on the App Store” button and the proper page in the Apple App Store will open. All that you need to do is click “Get” and the DraftKings Sportsbook app for iOS will be downloaded and installed on your iPad or iPhone.
How to download DraftKings Android app in Ontario
When you use our link you will be transported to the DraftKings page on which you’ll get the right version of its sportsbook app for Ontario. All you need to do is click the “Get it on Google Play” button and the correct page in the Google Play Store will open. Then simply choose “Install” and in just a few minutes, or even seconds, you will be able to sign in and start betting with DraftKings Sportsbook.
Navigating the DraftKings mobile app
The DraftKings app is user friendly and should not take most bettors long to get comfortable using. It also looks and functions the same on Android and Apple products, so don’t worry about which type of device you are using.
DraftKings provides many different ways to move around in the app. Users will see white boxes in the middle of the main screen, these are called Quick Links. These quick links are for leagues (NFL, NHL, NBA, etc.), odds boosts and daily free pools.
Below the quick links are more headers, these are broken down by sport (hockey, basketball, baseball, etc.). Clicking each header will show you the available games and odds in those sports. Clicking on individual games opens a new page where all the available bets for that game are displayed.
Across the bottom of the DraftKings app are links to take you back to the homepage, to all the live betting options, to view your betslip, to view all the available sports you can bet on and to the promotions page.
If you’ve never placed an online sports bet, have no fear because on the DraftKings app it is no sweat.
When you select a bet it gets placed in your betslip. You either can place that bet or add more wagers to create a multi-wager. Whatever you choose, when you’re ready to place your bet the app will show you the current odds, how much you’re betting and what you would win if correct. If you have a profit boost or free bet you’ll select it in your betslip before placing your wager. Keep in mind that you can’t combine profit boosts and free bets, so you’ll need to decide which one you want to use for each particular wager.
Overall the DraftKings app is exactly what we believe Ontario sports bettors should be looking for in a mobile sports betting app. It is not difficult to use and offers tons of sports to bet on and types of wagers to place.
Best features of the DraftKings Sportsbook app?
With so many to choose from it was hard trimming it down to just three, but here’s a look at our Top 3 features at DraftKings Sportsbook.
- Promos: What can we say, the promotions offered at DraftKings are second to none. In addition to offering a plethora of promotions, the bonuses at DraftKings are also some of the best quality deals around as well.
- Sportsbook and DFS: We also love the fact that in addition to a great mobile sportsbook, DraftKings also has a stellar daily fantasy site and you can link your two accounts. Now you don’t have to worry about moving funds around from one account to the other because they’re all connected.
- Pools: Betting on sports is great, but the fact that DraftKings also offers pools is even better. The key with pools is someone always wins. So now instead of placing a bet and crossing your fingers you can enter a pool and if you do well you’ll claim some of the prizes. You can view all the pools offered at DraftKings simply by clicking the “Pools” header at the top of the page.
Where is DraftKings Sportsbook lacking?
Now it’s time to go over three of the biggest issues with DraftKings Sportsbook.
- No single-game parlays: It’s surprising that DraftKings still does not offer single-game parlays for the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball. Other than that you can place just about any type of bet you want, but we’d love to see SGPs come to DraftKings.
- Withdrawal options: We’re hoping that when DraftKings Sportsbook comes to Ontario this won’t be an issue, but the fact that right now users can only withdraw money via PayPal or by having a check mailed to them is disappointing to say the least.
- Customer service: It also would be great if DraftKings were to add a phone option for talking to customer service. Because let’s be real, if you run into a problem and you can’t place a bet and you miss out on a big win it’s going to end up being a major pain.
Types of bets available on DraftKings Sportsbook app
Sports bettors in Ontario are probably familiar with parlays since those already are legal. But with single-game wagering on the verge of being legalized, let’s go over all the different types of bets you’ll be able to make with DraftKings Sportsbook.
- First up are moneyline bets which simply are bets for which team is going to win. If a team is listed with positive numbers they are the underdog, obviously negative numbers indicate the favourite. Example:
Toronto Argonauts +550
Hamilton Tiger-Cats -835
The Tiger-Cats are a big favourite in this example, so much it requires a bet of $835 on Hamilton, just to win $100. As a large underdog though, a $100 bet on Toronto would result in a $550 windfall if the Argonauts pulled the upset.
- Then there’s point-spread betting which demands correctly wagering on the margin of victory. Just like with moneyline bets favourites are listed in negative numbers and underdogs in positive. Example:
New York Knicks +5.5
Toronto Raptors -5.5
As the favourites, Toronto must win by six points or greater to cover the spread vs. New York. The Knicks on the other hand would cover if they only lose by five points or less, or win the game straight up vs. Toronto.
- If you’re looking for a wager that doesn’t necessitate getting the winner and loser right, totals betting might be for you. Here DraftKings users just need to bet whether more or less goals/runs/points will be tallied than the number set by oddsmakers. Example:
Toronto Maple Leafs O 6
Ottawa Senators U 6
If you think more than six goals will be scored in this Maple Leafs-Senators game, you would bet the over, five or less and you’d bet the under. In this example, if exactly six goals are scored all bets would push and you’d receive your money back. If your bet was part of a parlay that bet would be removed from the wager and the overall odds adjusted down.
- Prop betting is another way to wager that does not demand picking winners and losers. Props are bets on how players and teams will perform statistically during games. For instance, you could wager on whether Vladimir Guerrero Jr. will homer during a Toronto Blue Jays game. You also could bet on whether a goal will be scored during the first 10 minutes of an NHL game. If you’ve never seen the number of prop bets available at DraftKings Sportsbook, you might be surprised, because there are a ton.
- Then there’s parlays, which we assume many Ontarians are accustomed with. Parlays are a way of merging single bets together to increase your overall odds. Take this example: You could bet on the spread for three different NBA games. Bet separately each wager would have odds of -110. But, when you combine those wagers into a three-game parlay, your odds suddenly jump to +597, add one more game and the odds more than double to +1231. Beware though, because unless all your bets are right you parlay will bust.
- Teasers are akin to a parlay, but they only are for point-spread wagers. Let’s use the example from above, you bet on the spread for three NBA games. To make the combo-bet easier to win though you apply a four-point teaser to it, now all the lines are lowered by four points. In turn your odds drop from +597 to +229. You also could decide to make the bet harder to win and apply a reverse teaser, upping the lines on all your games by four points. This team the odds would shoot up to +1747.
- Then there are round robins, which call for choosing a minimum of three bets. Based on how many bets you choose you’ll have different round robin options at DraftKings. For the most part, the way these wagers work is that one of your selections is left off a ticket, allowing you to miss a game and not lose your whole bet.
So if you have three bets A, B and C, they would be combined as such: A-B, A-C, B-C. So if just C lost, you would still win your two-game parlay with A-B.
- Futures betting is another way to wager at DraftKings and these bets are for long-term events. The most typical futures wagers are for teams to win titles and players to win seasonal awards.
DraftKings also has futures markets for division and conference titles, win totals and whether teams will make the playoffs, just to name a few.
Live betting on DraftKings mobile app
Another thing we’re sure Ontario residents are going to love about DraftKings Sportsbook is all the live betting options. All you have to do is click “Live In-Game” and the games being played at that time that you can wager on will be displayed.
With in-game betting you no longer need to agonize over placing bets before games start. It also gives bettors the ability to wait and see if certain players will suit up for a contest or maybe you just want to see how a team looks during the opening minutes of play.
Most the same options you had for pregame bets will be available for live betting. The biggest difference with live betting is that the odds can move a great deal during games and they constantly will shift based on what is going on in a game.
Sports you can bet on at DraftKings in Ontario
DraftKings Sportsbook has a multitude of sports that you can place wagers on. Of course you’ll find markets for the NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, CFL and MLS. In addition to those leagues DraftKings also has wagering markets for the UFC, PGA Tour, US college basketball and football, NASCAR, WNBA and tennis.
Betting markets are not limited to North American sports leagues though. Users will find plenty of options for international soccer, with some of the most popular leagues being the UEFA Champions League, Liga MX, Serie A, La Liga, NWSL Challenge Cup and the World Cup, when it’s being played.
We still are waiting to hear if DraftKings will begin offering betting markets for popular Canadian sports such as curling and lacrosse.
Ontario sports team betting guide
Assuming single-event betting is legalized in Ontario it will mean the ability to start wagering on your favourite Ontario sports teams. Here’s a roundup of the local teams you’ll be able to bet on using the DraftKings app.
- First up are the Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators in the NHL.
- Then there’s the Toronto Blue Jays in Major League Baseball.
- There also are the Toronto Raptors in the NBA.
- Another lone team resides in the MLS in the form of Toronto FC.
- And finally you have three teams in the CFL that you can wager on at DraftKings. They are the Ottawa Redblacks, Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Toronto Argonauts.
Right now DraftKings Sportsbook does not have betting markets for the NBA of Canada, National Lacrosse League and Canadian Premier League, but there is no reason that couldn’t change once the sportsbook launches in Ontario.
DraftKings Ontario futures market
DraftKings offers an impressive futures market, allowing Ontarians the ability to place futures wagers on some of their favourite teams.
Users could bet on the Senators or Maple Leafs to win their division or the Stanley Cup. Or maybe you want to bet on the Blue Jays to win the World Series, the Raptors to claim the Larry O’Brien Trophy or the Tiger-Cats, Redblacks or Argonauts to win the Grey Cup.
The options are all there at DraftKings Sportsbook, and remember you can make futures bets before or during seasons. Sometimes the best time to place a futures wager is when a team gets off to a rough start and their odds get longer than you think they should be.
How to deposit and cash out on the DraftKings app
We cannot say for sure what all your withdrawal and deposit choices will be at DraftKings Sportsbook until it opens in Ontario. We can let you know what the options are at DraftKings Sportsbook in the US and it’s a pretty good guess they will be the same or very similar in Ontario.
- Debit or credit card
- Online bank transfer
- Wire transfer
- ACH (eCheck)
- Play+ prepaid debit card
- DraftKings gift card
Cash out options
- Have a check mailed to you
It’s clear that while DraftKings does offer plenty of options for depositing money, the options for cashing out your winnings are a little lack luster.
How to contact DraftKings customer support
If you do not need immediate help, the simplest way to contact DraftKings’ service department is by emailing [email protected].
There is not actually a phone number for users to call, but if you click on “Contact Us” under your account and send a message detailing your issue you can have a live chat. DraftKings has stopped offering telephone support and it remains to be seen if they’ll offer it again in the future.
Responsible gaming at DraftKings
Like many other legitimate online sportsbooks, DraftKings takes responsible gaming seriously.
DraftKings Sportsbook users are given multiple options to help control their gambling habits before they become problems. Users can restrict how much cash they are able to deposit and wager and how much overall time they can be on the DraftKings app and/or website. Additionally DraftKings allows bettors to self ban themselves entirely.
Finally, DraftKings provides numerous phone numbers and websites for people to reach out to if they require help with a sports gambling addiction.
Will DraftKings be the best sportsbook in Ontario?
It’s difficult to say which oddsmaker will be the best in Ontario since we still don’t know with 100% certainty which sportsbooks will be launching in Ontario. Despite that hold up, it’s almost impossible to believe DraftKings won’t be at least in the conversation for best sportsbook in the Heartland Province.
DraftKings Sportsbook offers a myriad of betting markets, tons of wagering options, great promotions and a superb mobile app, so it definitely will be one of the best books in Ontario in our opinion.
Is DraftKings licensed in Ontario?
Not just yet, but all signs point to DraftKings Sportsbook being among those sportsbook operators that will be awarded a sports betting license when Ontario is able to do so.
What is the minimum age to bet at DraftKings Sportsbook in Ontario?
It’s not official yet, but it looks like the legal age to bet on sports in Ontario will be 19. In addition, bettors will have to be in Ontario when they place their bets. This means you will need to install and activate geolocation software on your phone, tablet or computer so it can confirm you are in the province.
Can I bet on the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at DraftKings?
Definitely, DraftKings Sportsbook has betting markets for the CFL, so you can wager on the Tiger-Cats, Toronto Argonauts, Ottawa Redblacks, and all the other CFL teams. You can wager on other Ontario teams in the NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS as well.
Do I need to download the app to bet at DraftKings online?
Nope, you can use the DraftKings Sportsbook desktop site to make bets and control your account. We think the DraftKings app is great though, so if you have an iPhone, iPad or Android smartphone or tablet we advise getting the free DraftKings app and giving it a try.
Does DraftKings offer odds boosts or early cash out betting?
DraftKings does offer daily boosts and early cash out betting for select wagers. You can tell if a bet is available to be cashed out early by checking your betslip when you place the wager. If early cash out is available it will read “Cash Out” between the wager and payout lines.
Why should I choose DraftKings over an offshore site?
Because once DraftKings Sportsbook is licensed in Ontario it will mean your private info and money is safe and secure. If anything goes wrong you would be able to get help from the government, whereas offshore sites don’t offer any of the same protections. In addition to that DraftKings Sportsbook is a reputable business and your money and information truly is safe and secure.