Disclaimer: FanDuel Sportsbook is not currently available in Canada. This review is speculative based on what we know so far and will be updated when FanDuel comes online in Ontario.
The odds of single-game sports betting being legalized in Ontario continue to improve and that makes it ever more likely that Ontarians will have the chance to start wagering with FanDuel Sportsbook someday soon.
Assuming Bill C-218 continues on its current path it will legitimize single-event wagering in the Heartland Province. That in turn will open the door for FanDuel to set up shop in Ontario shortly thereafter.
Our FanDuel Sportsbook Ontario review will make sure you’re prepared to start betting with FanDuel as soon as you’re legally allowed to do so.
We start by explaining what needs to happen next for single-event betting to be allowed in Ontario. Then we dive into all things FanDuel, covering how to get signed up, the $1,000 welcome bonus and other promotions FanDuel offers, the sports and bets you can place and what your most likely deposit and withdrawal options will be.
Why choose FanDuel Sportsbook
- Opening bet is risk free up to $1,000
- Ability to make tons of different single-game wagers
- Promotions enable you to win more money
- Android and iOS sportsbook app is excellent
When will FanDuel be legal in Ontario?
While a date has not yet been set, what we can say is that FanDuel Sportsbook should be live in Ontario a short time after C-218 is approved by Canada’s government. The bill would amend the Criminal Code and allow Ontario, and other provinces, to decide if and how to authorize single-game sports betting.
And the good news is C-218 made its way through the House of Commons in April 2021 prior to being sent off to the Canadian Senate. While there is no guarantee the bill will be passed, all the current signs indicate that it will. There’s the fact the bill has been backed by all parties and that it has the support of numerous organizations. Those entities include the Canadian Gaming Association, Responsible Gaming Council and Canadian Olympic Committee.
While other provinces still are on the fence about what their approach to sports betting will be, Ontario has made its goals clear. The plan is to allow private companies, such as FanDuel, to open sportsbooks with the aim of having a vigorous and diverse sports betting marketplace.
As soon as there is more information on these fronts to share with you, we will do exactly that.
FanDuel sign-up bonus: Up to a $1,000 value
FanDuel Sportsbook has among the best welcome bonus offers in the gaming industry and it comes in the form of a $1,000 risk-free first bet. Here is a rundown of everything you need to know about it.
- The first real-money bet you place after creating your FanDuel account and making your first deposit will be the one that is eligible for the refund.
- If your first bet wins, you receive your winnings just like normal and nothing else changes going forward.
- If your first bet loses, FanDuel reimburses your money for a max of $1,000. The refund is given as site credit.
- Site credit can be wagered just like regular money, but it cannot be withdrawn.
- To use your site credit you must select the “Bonus funds” tab when placing wagers. The bonus funds option will appear at the top of your betslip once you have a wager(s) in it. Once selected it usually remains on, but always check to be sure before placing a bet.
- Your site credit expires exactly two weeks after being issued. Plan accordingly to ensure that none of it goes unused.
What makes FanDuel’s welcome bonus so much better than similar offers is having the refund paid out in site credit. Many other oddsmakers give out a single free bet instead. Thus, if you lost your first bet for $1,000 you only get one chance to make that money back. At FanDuel you can spread that $1,000 out however you decide, making it the far superior welcome bonus.
FanDuel Sportsbook promo code 2021
|Ontario Sportsbook||FanDuel Sportsbook|
|Promo Code||None - Use Links|
|Risk Free First Bet||Max of $1,000, paid in site credit|
|Online Since||2021 in Ontario|
|Last Updated||October 2021|
Regular promotions available on the FanDuel sports betting app
FanDuel has arguably the best all-around promotions at any online sportsbook. One of the biggest reasons is because most of its promotions are paid out in site credit, just like the welcome bonus. This is a summary of just some of the promotions you will find at FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Parlay insurance: FanDuel Sportsbook has an abundance of parlay promotions. The most common offer gives users their money back (up to $25 usually) if their parlay of four legs or more fails by just one leg. Oftentimes the promo requires all legs to have odds of -200 or longer, so check the conditions to be sure of the conditions.
FanDuel also offers special parlay promotions in which users get their money back no matter how many legs of their parlay fail. These rarer promotions typically are capped to $10.
- Other insurance offers: FanDuel has plenty of other insurance promotions as well. For the NBA you can get your money back if the player you bet on to score the game’s first basket loses, but your player scores the second or third basket. For the NHL your losses are refunded if you place a correct score wager and it fails, but the team you bet on still wins.
- Spread the Love: The premier FanDuel Sportsbook promotion though is called Spread the Love. You’ll see various spread the love promos, but they all work in the same way. A game is chosen and FanDuel moves the spread by a point for every “X” number of users who participate in the contest.
Typically the contest is announced a few days in advance so by game time the point-spread is so monstrous (think 100 points or greater) that winning is guaranteed. Spread the Love have odds of -110 with $50 max bets, which equals $45 wins if you bet the max.
FanDuel routinely runs even more promotions when it launches a sportsbook in a new locale, so be sure to join ASAP to ensure you don’t miss out on anything.
How to create a FanDuel account in Ontario
It is extremely likely that users will be able to create FanDuel accounts using either the FanDuel Sportsbook app (available for iOS and Android) or FanDuel website. In either the app or website all you need to do is select “Join now” and fill out the application. You will be required to enter your:
Users also must create a password and username. If you are a FanDuel daily fantasy sports player you can use that username and password to create your sportsbook account.
FanDuel Sportsbook app in Ontario
The FanDuel Sportsbook app performs just as beautifully on iPhones and iPads as it does on smartphone and tablets that run on the Android operating system. Here’s a quick guide to downloading the app and then we’ll tell you all about it.
How to download FanDuel iOS app in Ontario
Clicking on our link will open FanDuel’s iOS download page. Then select “Download on the App Store” located below the FanDuel Sportsbook logo, the other download button is for FanDuel’s DFS app.
In the Apple App Store simply select “Get” and be patient for about a minute, when the app has finished downloading you can click “Open” and start using it.
How to download FanDuel Android app in Ontario
Use this link to get FanDuel’s Android app. Simply select the button that reads “Get it on the Google Play Store.” Once the Google Play Store opens all you have to do is select “Install” and then wait for the app to download onto your tablet or smartphone.
Navigating the FanDuel mobile app
FanDuel’s app is extremely easy to use whether you are an experienced sports bettor or completely new to wagering on sports.
You’ll see there are buttons along the top of the screen for live betting, odds boosts, promotions and the most in demand leagues to wager on. Directly below is a scrollable marquee that shows FanDuel’s on-going promotions. And below that are games and odds.
FanDuel displays the spread, moneyline and total wagers for games on primary pages. To see the available wagers for each game you must click on that particular game. At that point you can scroll down to check out all the bets or you can use the headers along the top. The bet types that are available for same-game parlays at FanDuel will have black and green “SGP” logos next to them.
Once you are ready to bet just touch the wager you like and the box around it will change from white to blue, your FanDuel betslip also pops up. If that’s the lone bet you want to make, add your stake and place it. For multi-bets just keep adding and when you’re ready once again you’ll input your stake and place the bet.
Remember, if you have bonus funds to use you need to select the button in your betslip to place your wager using bonus funds instead of cash. The option will not appear until you add a bet to your betslip.
All things considered, the FanDuel Sportsbook app is amongst the best in the gaming industry because it’s both simple to use, but also gives users the power to create complicated and intricate bets.
Best features of the FanDuel Sportsbook app?
FanDuel has quite a bit to like about it, but here is a look at our three favourite features.
- Promotions: Starting with an outstanding welcome bonus and continuing with top-notch offers going on all the time, FanDuel’s promos have it all. Making things even better is getting paid out in site credit, which is much easier to wager, than free bets.
- Betting options: FanDuel has so many betting options there really is something for everyone. The same-game parlays options at FanDuel are easily the best and easiest to make SGPs we’ve come across yet.
- Banking options: FanDuel offers users tons of options both for funding and withdrawing money from their accounts and that’s a huge win in our books. We’d be surprised if there’s not at least one option that works for just about everyone.
Where is FanDuel Sportsbook lacking?
It wasn’t easy, but we managed to find three areas where FanDuel Sportsbook could improve going forward.
- No rewards club: It’s disappointing that FanDuel still does not have a rewards club. Even if a loyalty club is not going to happen, we would love to see a promotion that gives users free bets or site credit when they place a certain amount of bets each week.
- Customer service: FanDuel’s customer service is not bad, however it’s a bit of a let down that there’s not a phone number to call. It would be a great addition to have members of the help desk available via phone for users experiencing problems.
- No more opting-in: FanDuel’s promotions are great, the fact that you need to opt-in to them is not so great. While most of the time this is just a little bit of an annoyance, it’s safe to say if you lose out on a great offer because you failed to click “Opt-in” it’s going to be more than a tad annoying.
Types of bets available on FanDuel Sportsbook app
Once single-event sports betting is legalized in Ontario it will mean bettors no longer have to resort to only making parlay wagers. With that in mind let’s take a look at all the types of sports bets you will have the chance to place at FanDuel Sportsbook.
- The moneyline is the odds on which team will win a game. Minus numbers tell you that team is favoured, while plus numbers denote the underdog. The larger the number is the bigger the favourite or underdog.
A moneyline of -320 means a bet of $320 is required to win $100. A moneyline of +260 means a $100 wager would win $260 if correct.
- Point spreads are used to handicap games and basically make them move even. When a team is expected to win they will have points removed from their score. So, to cover the point spread they must win by more than the spread.
When teams are underdogs they just need to lose by less than the spread to cover. Winning always covers the spread when a team is an underdog.
The typical line for spread bets is -110, which if you’ll recall from the moneyline section, means you would need to bet $110 to win $100.
- Totals bets don’t require getting the winning team correct. Instead you are wagering on how many goals, points or runs are expected to be scored in a contest by both teams. There are two totals bets available for games, one with an “O” in front of the number and one with a “U.”. The O is short for over, the U for under. Obviously you pick O if you expect more goals to be scored and U if you expect less.
Just like with spread betting, -110 is the normal odds for totals bets.
- Prop bets are plentiful at FanDuel Sportsbook and they are wagers on whether specific occurrences will happen during games. You can sort props at FanDuel by player or game. Player props relate to individual statistical accomplishments, while game props could be as simple as which team will score more goals during the second period for example.
- Parlays are a bet that lets users combine wagers to increase their odds. Parlays are the one type of sports wager that is legal in Ontario right now, but at FanDuel you have much more freedom in the types of parlays you can create.
In addition to traditional parlays, which involve placing bets on a variety of games, FanDuel also offers same-game parlays for the NFL, NBA and MLB. An example of a same-game parlay would be betting on the Toronto Raptors moneyline, the over, Pascal Siakam to score the game’s first basket and Fred VanFleet to score more than 25 points. If all those things happen your SGP would pay off big time.
- Teasers are what it’s called when you bet on multiple spread bets for football or basketball games, but instead of taking the given line you move, or tease, the spread by the same amount for all the games. As you tease the spread the odds are adjusted as well.
In addition to creating teaser this way, there also is another option at FanDuel. You can pick alternate point spreads for each game and combine those bets into a parlay. This way allows you to choose the exact spread you want for each game.
- Round robins allow bettors to not have to be perfect with their selections in order to win. Let’s use a CFL example to help explain how they work.
You place a round robin wager with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Ottawa Redblacks and Toronto Argonauts all winning one week. A round robin would combine those bets into three two-game parlays (Hamilton-Ottawa, Hamilton-Toronto and Ottawa-Toronto). Now if Hamilton and Toronto win, but Ottawa loses you still would win one of the three parts of your bet. As you’ll notice you would win a lot more money if all three of your selections were correct.
- Futures are bets on long-term events that usually won’t be resolved for weeks and many times even months down the road. There are many futures bets available at FanDuel Sportsbook, but the most sought after ones are called outright markets and they are for teams to win league championships, such as the Stanley Cup or Super Bowl.
If you’re interested in learning even more about the types of bets available at FanDuel make sure to look at FanDuel’s Bet Guide.
Live betting on FanDuel mobile app
In addition to being able to make pregame bets, FanDuel Sportsbook users also can participate in live betting. In essence live betting is no different from regular betting except the game you’re betting on already has started.
When you click on the “Live now” header at FanDuel you can see all the in-play betting options you have available. There are a variety of reasons why live betting has become super popular.
First, it makes for a more interactive experience while watching games. Second, live betting can be very profitable when done correctly. Maybe you’re watching the Toronto Maple Leafs and they’re dominating play, but they let in one sloppy goal and trail 1-0 after the first period. Chances are they’re going to be plus odds and you jump on them and celebrate after they come from behind to win 3-1. Finally, sometimes you just fail to get your bets in before a game starts, but now you simply can place those bets as soon as you are able.
Our only piece of betting advice is to place your live bets quickly because when it comes to in-play betting the odds can shift rapidly.
Sports you can bet on at FanDuel in Ontario
FanDuel Sportsbook should have the vast majority of sports fans covered with the number of betting markets they have to offer.
FanDuel users will find tons of available bets for the NHL, NBA, CFL, MLS, NFL and MLB betting. On top of that there are markets for US college football and US college basketball, the PGA Tour, NASCAR, UFC, WNBA, ATP, WTA and much more.
But that’s just the top North American leagues. FanDuel also accepts bets on soccer’s UCL, EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A and Liga MX just to name a few. There are also markets for rugby, table tennis and cricket.
At this time FanDuel does not offer curling or lacrosse but there’s no telling if those options will be added when FanDuel Sports comes to the Great White North.
Ontario sports team betting guide
Ontario has a fair amount of pro teams throughout the province and users are able to bet on most of them using the FanDuel Sportsbook app.
If you’re a fan of the Toronto teams you’ll find betting markets for the NHL’s Maple Leafs, NBA’s Raptors, MLB’s Blue Jays, CFL’s Argonauts and Toronto FC of the MLS.
Additionally there’s the Senators (NHL) and Redblacks (CFL), both located in Ottawa, and also the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the CFL as well.
Ontario also features teams in the National Lacrosse League, NBA of Canada and soccer’s Canadian Premier League, but at this time FanDuel does not offer betting markets for those leagues.
FanDuel Ontario futures market
FanDuel not only has great futures market offerings, but they’re super easy to find, which we can’t say about a lot of the other mobile sportsbooks out there.
To find the available futures markets just click on the league you’re interested in, NHL for example, and all your options are clearly displayed right below the NHL header.
For instance, you can select from “Stanley Cup,” “Futures,” “Player Futures” and “To Make Playoffs.” Obviously Stanley Cup is to win the title, futures is for betting on division winners, player futures will vary based on the time of year you’re looking and to make the playoffs is pretty self explanatory.
So you can make a variety of futures bets on the Senators, Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors, Toronto FC and the Tiger-Cats, Argonauts and Redblacks at FanDuel Sportsbook.
How to deposit and cash out on the FanDuel app
Until FanDuel Sportsbook launches in Ontario it’s impossible to say definitively what your deposit and cash out options will be. However, we can tell you what’s available to FanDuel Sportsbook users in the US and chances are the choices will be just about identical.
- Online banking transfer
- Debit/credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
- Wire transfer
- FanDuel Prepaid Play+ card
- FanDuel gift card
Cash out options
- Online banking transfer
- Check, which is mailed to you
How to contact FanDuel customer support
Clicking on the “Help & Support” link under your account will open up FanDuel’s customer support page. From there you can use the search bar to find information on your problem.
Additionally you’ll see a small blue box in the lower right corner of the screen, clicking on this will start a live chat. Lastly, if you scroll to the bottom of the screen there is a box labeled “Submit a Ticket.” Clicking the box will allow you to send a message to FanDuel’s support staff.
Responsible gaming at FanDuel
From FanDuel’s responsible gaming page users can enforce a number of limits on their account. This limit setting options are designed to prevent bettors from wagering above their means.
The options include deposit limits, contest entry limits, max entry fee limits, wager limits, max wager limits, time limits and contest entry alerts. In addition to all of that FanDuel allows players to shut down their accounts and provides information for where to seek help if they fear they have a gambling problem.
Will FanDuel be the best sportsbook in Ontario?
There is a very good chance FanDuel Sportsbook will become the top online oddsmaker in Ontario.
FanDuel has a great welcome bonus to help get users signed up, has an excellent app, offers solid odds and its stellar promotions should all lead to FanDuel being extremely popular.
If FanDuel isn’t the No. 1 sportsbook in Ontario it’s hard to imagine it not being in at least the top two or three.
Is FanDuel licensed in Ontario?
Not as of yet, but that is likely to change as soon as single-same sports betting is legalized in Ontario. Once that happens expect FanDuel to be one of the first online sportsbooks to be licensed in the province.
What is the minimum age to bet at FanDuel Sportsbook in Ontario?
Once again, until anything is finalized nothing is guaranteed, but it appears the minimum age to bet in Ontario is going to be 19. Another stipulation is that bettors will need to be in Ontario when placing bets. That’s why you must allow geolocation software to verify your location. If you are found to be outside of Ontario you won’t be able to wager or cash out any existing wagers.
Can I bet on the Maple Leafs and Senators at FanDuel?
Yep, once FanDuel is up and running you’ll be able to bet on the Leafs, Senators and every other NHL team. And the best part is you’ll be able to bet on single games, instead of having to bet on nothing but parlays. But don’t worry FanDuel still offers parlays, now you’ll just have more freedom over how you build them and how much you wager on them.
Do I need to download the app to bet at FanDuel online?
No, FanDuel has a website that you can use on your computer, tablet or smartphone. While the website works well we think the FanDuel Sportsbook app works even better. It’s free for Apple and Android devices so we highly recommend giving it a try, and if you don’t like it you always can go back to the website only.
Does FanDuel offer odds boosts or early cash out betting?
FanDuel offers both odds boosts and early cash outs. The odds boosts can be found by selecting the “Boosts” header. As for the early cash outs, if a bet is eligible for it there will be a symbol in your bet slip that looks like a bill with an up arrow on the top of it. Remember you only can cash out a bet if you are in Ontario as the time you go to cash it out.
How does the FanDuel app compare to DraftKings?
FanDuel and DraftKings are both outstanding sports betting apps. Both feature tons of promotions, betting markets, sports to bet on and offer great odds overall. The biggest difference is that FanDuel offers same-game parlays for the NFL, NBA and MLB, while DraftKings does not.